RadarPlus® SM1610 Rugged, Long Range AIS Base Station
INTRODUCING THE RADARPLUS SM1610
MK1: an enhanced AIS receiver with industry-leading sensitivity in a rugged
The SM1610 is designed to meet all of the receiving requirements
of AIS Base Stations per ITU-R M.1371-1
The RadarPlus SM1610 serial data output will drive most popular
marine charting software packages and ECDIS available today. The
output provides the location of all AIS transponders within receiving
- High-sensitivity, maximum range AIS reception
- Very low power consumption
- 12-channel internal GPS standard
- Shine Micro's proprietary ESP software standard
- Mast-mounted LNA included
- Superior protection against co-located transmitters and near
- RS-232 (STANDARD)
- IEC 61162
Building from the proven success of the SL161R, the SM1610 is one of
the most powerful AIS tools on the market, with demonstrated long range
The SM1610 was selected by the United States Coast Guard (USCG) for the
Nationwide Automatic Identification System (NAIS) in 2006.
Industry-leading tracking range is achieved through NOISESION demodulator
technology (patent pending), which demodulates AIS packets both forward
and backward for superior reception of noisy, weak signals.
System performance and installation flexibility are optimized through
an external Low Noise Amplifier (LNA) designed to be mast mounted at the
An optional micro-transmitter located inside the LNA provides an important
integrity check of the entire receiving system by injecting a calibrated
AIS1 and AIS2 signal at the LNA antenna input. This is useful to insure
the health of the entire receiver, LNA and coaxial feed-line system. The
micro-transmitter can compensate for losses in cavity filters and long
coaxial feed-lines, which are often installation specific. A performance
test report is provided with each unit.
- Designation: AIS RX base station per ITU R M.1371-1
- Serial interface: IEC 61162, RS422, RS232, Ethernet
- Power Supply: 12 to 30 V and 120V AC
- Power Consumption: Less than 5 watts
- Temperature Range: -15 to +55 degrees C.
- Compass Safe Distance: 1 meter
- 12 channel internal Global Positioning System (GPS)
- GPS antenna interface: SMA connector
Dimensions and Weights
- Width: 3.15 in.
- Length: 6.89 in.
- Height: 2.25 in'
- Weight: <2 lb.
Frequencies and Channel Bandwidth
- RX AIS1: 161.975 MHz at 25 kHz
- RX AIS2: 162.025 MHz at 25 kHz
- AIS Data Rate: 9,600 bits/s
- Sensitivity: <20% PER @ -119 dBm
- Co-channel Rejection: -10 dB
- Adjacent Channel Selectivity: 70 dB
- Blocking: 84 dB
- Intermodulation: 74 dB
- Large Signal PER: 0.1% or better
- Image Rejection: 70 dB
- Spurious Rejection: 70 dB
- Antenna Interface: Type N connector
Enhanced Signal Analysis Package
- Received Signal Strength Indication
- Slot Numbering
- VDL Loading
- Ambient Noise Measurement
- Packet Time of Arrival
- Partial Packet Reception
Serial Interface Details:
The serial interface of the RadarPlus conforms to ITU R M.1371-1 and
NMEA 0183 V3.0 with additional proprietary sentences. The received AIS
messages are output using the VDM sentence, and GPS location data is output
using the NMEA 0183 sentences.
To request full serial interface specifications, please e-mail email@example.com
or call Shine Micro at (360) 437-2503.
- Future software upgrades are easily installed through the serial port.
- Digital Beam Forming
Optional external time-base and 1PPS inputs for future applications
using multiple synchronized receivers to obtain maximum tracking range
- Time of Arrival and Partial Packet Detection
Detection and Time-stamping of packets which are too weak to decode
(signal levels of -125 dBm or less) for post-processing and future applications
- Enclosure: Weather Resistant
- Connector Type: N
- Frequency: 162 MHz
- Noise Figure: < 1 dB
- Gain: >12 dB
- Power Supply: Coax Bias
- Multi-Stage input protection
Shine Micro warrants its products to be free from defects for one full
year from the date of purchase. Shine Micro will, at its sole discretion,
repair or replace any components that fail in normal use. Labor and material
costs for such repairs or replacement will be free of charge. This warranty
does not cover failures due to abuse, misuse, accidents, or unauthorized
alterations or repair.